Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just some random thoughts.


  1.  I felt pretty homesick today. I haven't felt homesick too much since I've been here, but today was just one of those days I guess. I miss home. I miss my family. My mom, my dad, Jorge, Daniel, Valeria, and even my dogs Zoe and Pretty. I miss my mom's cooking and her hot chocolate. I miss cuddling with my sister on the couch and hanging out with my brothers when I go home on the weekends. I miss my dad's hugs and constant reminders that I'm still his little girl. It hadn't really hit me that I'm halfway across the world until today I guess. I just miss home.
  2. I felt even more sad when I realized I've had three peanut butter and nutella sandwhiches today. And about three a day everyday this week...oh summer I'm kind of really dreading you now. This thought is more of a joke then anything, but seriously I eat more in one meal here then I eat in a whole day back at home. This has to stop.
  3. The whole lack of parenting here has really, really gotten to me. I live with three little kids here and at first I thought it'd be great. Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely love children and am studying to be a teacher. But I found this not to be the case in my homestay. Ever since I got here I've been so frustrated/annoyed with them, which leads me to only come out of my room for meals. I don't like this. I think I am slowly starting to realize that the parenting here is just a cultural difference. It's not that they are "bad" parents or don't know how to raise their children. They just choose to do it a different way. A way that I am not used to and don't really agree with, but I am done hiding out in my room. I am here for another five months and while there is the possibility of switching homestays I don't want to do that. I love my host mom and I love it here. Even though I do get frustrated often, from here on out I will spend more time with my host family and try to be more patient and more understanding with my host siblings. After all, I am studying to be a kindergarten teacher haha. I've been complaining the whole time I've been here and finally today I talked to Jesus about all of the things I've been feeling. Praying about my anger and frustration definitely helped and I am slowly beginning to change my attitude. I know that I will be very frustrated at times, but I also know that God put me with this family for a reason. Today, I spent about an hour with them in the living room just watching SpongeBob, talking to my little brother about his school play, and cradling my little sister to sleep. It was so wonderful.
Bimba



        4. Another thing that has been on my mind lately is that I have yet to go to mass since I've been here. Part of the reason I haven't gone is because I have been busy pretty much every weekend since I've been here. But I also know that God gives me 168 hours a week. I surely have at least 1 hour to dedicate to Him. Thinking about this fills me with a huge feeling of sadness and disappointment in myself. The times I have Skyped my parents they always ask me if I've gone to mass yet and the answer is always the same, "No, I've been really busy." It's funny how I'm not too busy though to spend hours online, hours with my friends, and hours napping and doing nothing. I think I will start getting my priorities in order and first thing I want to do this Sunday is go to mass. 

That's all for now! Miss and love everyone! 

No comments: