Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Flamenco dress disaster...

So this past week was Feria in Sevilla, which is a huge celebration/tradition here. It's been going on for tons of years and in a nutshell...the ladies wear flamenco dresses, men dress up super nice, there's drinking, dancing, carnival rides, food. It's just this huge all day and all night festival for a week straight. It was amazing and made me love Sevilla so much more (if that's even possible), but I don't really feel like going into detail about it right now so I will share when I come home.

But anyway, my host mom let me borrow one of her flamenco dresses so I would be able to dress up and immerse myself in the culture, etc, etc. I was kind of excited to be able to dress up and wear it to Feria, but it was soooo tight on me when I tried it on. It looked really good though because the dresses are beautiful, but then I had to zip it up and it was soo hard to zip. Guess those crepes with nutella finally got to me...But it zipped...or so I thought...I got it to zip all the way up, but when I went to look in the mirror the zipper broke from like the bottom to the top and I was stuck in the dress! And I didn't want to ask my host mom for help getting out of it because 1. I was so embarrassed and
2. felt awful for ruining her dress. And they're so expensive so I was panicking! After a ton of effort, I was able to yank the opening wide enough to swivel the back of the dress to the front so that I could work on fixing the zipper. Basically I yanked and yanked until the hole was big enough for me to get out of the dress. By this point I was sweating profusely and almost in tears because I didn't know what I was going to tell my host mom. I worked on the zipper forever and in the end I was able to fix it PTL. Moral of the story: 1. I need to work on losing the 10 pounds I've gained here....2. Never again will I try to make something fit that is obviously just NOT GOING TO FIT. And 3...no more crepes with nutella :(

The dress was kind of...sort of...like this. Except all black and no sleeves just two straps.

No comments: